Registered Nurse, Day Health Program
Founded in 1988, Casey House is a sub-acute specialty hospital providing a continuum of care in a comfortable environment for adults living with HIV/AIDS, through a comprehensive range of inpatient, outpatient and community care services. Casey House is committed to providing compassionate care by an extensive inter-professional team. If you have a passion and interest in joining an organization focused on supporting people with complex medical and psychosocial needs, and enjoy working in a dynamic environment, consider this opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our clients!
Position: Registered Nurse, Day Health Program
Reports to: Nurse Practitioner, Day Health Program
Status: Full-time, permanent (OPSEU bargaining unit)
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week primarily Monday to Friday (Scheduled evening and weekend work as required)
As an integral member of a multidisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse works collaboratively with members of the Day Health (Outpatient) Program to provide trauma-informed clinical care to Casey House clients. Reporting to the Nurse Practitioner, the RN will provide transitional primary care services, and respond to acute needs of our clients whom already have a primary care provider. As the Day Health Program evolves to meet the needs of our community, the RN is expected to play a key role in the development of expanded harm reduction services. This may include work in the areas of supervised consumption services, safer supply programs and HIV prevention initiatives.
Working with clients and their support networks, from a holistic and client-centered perspective, together with the inter-professional team, the nurse will work to deliver focused group and individual interventions to improve emerging and/or chronic health issues. The nurse will be a skilled practitioner committed to providing services from a social justice perspective to our most vulnerable citizens.
- Direct, comprehensive client care activities including but not limited to palliative care, wound care, phlebotomy, management of central venous lines, post-surgical/radiation/chemotherapy care, supportive care, palliative care, rehabilitative activities, harm reduction and mental health interventions, and client education.
- Provision of comprehensive primary nursing services to DHP clients, and in outreach settings
- Provides triage and intake services for clients and potential clients
- In collaboration with clients, assists in the identification of goals while a client of the Day Health Program
- Provides inpatient nursing care when scheduled and on an as-required basis
- Work within a multidisciplinary team to provide holistic compassionate goal-driven care to Casey House clients
- Liaise with Inpatient team to provide barrier-free transitions between the Inpatient and Day Health Programs
- Provide harm-reduction nursing care, which may involve work in safer consumption and safer supply areas.
- Perform primary and urgent episodic care nursing duties as they relate to wound care, physical and psychosocial assessments, harm reduction care for substance use and addiction, HIV and HCV testing and treatment, screening, and other care in collaboration with clinical nurse practitioners, and in compliance with medical directives where applicable
- Provide continuity of care by liaising with interdisciplinary team members, implementing clinical interventions, evaluating patient/client outcomes based on patient/client goals for care, and coordinating ongoing care and supporting transition.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information based on nursing theory and practice related to patients/clients with complex health care needs.
- Participates as group facilitator/co-lead for day health program specific groups for client education or interventions
- Apply principles of trauma informed care, harm reduction and anti-oppressive frame works
- Supports continuous quality improvement and clinical excellence within day health nursing team
- Mentors students, volunteers and new staff
- Advocate for patients/clients, to protect and promote their rights to dignity, respects, privacy, confidentiality, autonomy and access to information.
- Role-model practice consistent with Casey Houses’ values and philosophy of care
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Current RN certification of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- A minimum of three (3) years of Registered Nurse experience
- Work experience is optimally a blend of inpatient , group, community experiences
- Clinical experience which demonstrates expertise in physical, mental health and addictions assessments & adapting care planning to client environments of care
- Mental Health, substance use, and group experience required; rehabilitation and HIV/AIDS experience preferred
- Demonstrated capacity to work from both a harm reduction and anti-oppressive framework
- Highly developed conflict resolution, decision making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communication skills; proven capacity to effectively communicate with a variety of clients, families, supports, community and hospital providers
- Strong inter-personal skills and demonstrated capacity to work with an inter-professional team
- Current CPR certificate
- Crisis intervention training or willingness to pursue
- Computer literacy ( electronic health records, electronic health monitoring, mircrosoft office suite and communications platforms )
- Comprehensive understanding of community based services and supports which address issues of poverty, gender equity, homelessness, marginalization, mental health and substance use.
- Membership in RNAO, CANAC and/or ANAC an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology.
At Casey House, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including those living with HIV/AIDS. Casey House is committed to providing accommodation in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
This posting will close at 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 6, 2021.